Social Media Marketing… it doesn’t bite …really… it’s as respectful as you are… now rock on!
But before you start out, here are some basic ideas:
– Content is KING: the best content in your industry is worth gold.
– Numbers count: everyone understands that the more connected you are, the more relevant you are.
– Distribution: you OWN distribution of your content, there is no barrier between readers/prospects and your company – There is no editor in chief privileging your competitor story.
– It’s about being Human: We are gregarious by DNA. We like social contact and we’d rather buy stuff cos our friends told so and it is fixin’ our basic and not so basic needs.
– ‘It’s business, (stupid)’: If you doubt it, just look at the valuation of those puppies…. The so called Social Graph will soon have more power than any other sales force.
– Authenticity rules: Be true to your brand and your customer or you’ll go to hell.
If you want to experiment yourself, you need a blog. No blog – you don’t exist, seriously.
Now meet the mighty graph which explains the basics of what I call an RSS Architecture….. if you like it, say so, bookmark it (funky button at the bottom of that blog). If you don’t, tell me how you would modify it. Now we’re being social!
So what are the basic steps?
– Connect your customer-friend-ecosystem to your company brand online.
– Feed them / publish excellent content that will make them happy to have read or seen you (youtube,flickr…).
– Allow for 2 way conversation with them and respond (to what matters, not everything).
Oh YEAH! This is applicable to the following:
– A brand
– A business — small or large (larger can’t move very fast so they struggle a bit with that)
– A [true] customer centric company
– A product launch
– A message as part of your overall marketing strategy
– An individual (brand)
– Selling a house
– A political campaign 🙂
– A non profit fundraising endeavor
– A product development team
….and too many others to list…..
It is NOT applicable to:
– Arrogant brands
– People afraid to lose control of the message (you’re lost anyway).
Now stop thinking that Social Networking is just for kiddos who are bored…. it’s you, me and everyone else thinking stuff, buying stuff, reading stuff.
TOGETHER WE RISE. 🙂